Committee members are vital to HYPE’s current and future operations. Committees are open for HYPE members to join at any time, and nominations are accepted for the HYPE Chair-Elect position in the summer and the five Vice Chair positions in the fall. The HYPE Chair-Elect candidate selected will work closely with our current Chair through December 2017 and assume the Chair role on January 1, 2018.
HYPE has adopted an appointment-based model for leadership succession, for both the Chair-Elect and Committee Vice Chair positions. As a growing professional organization, HYPE considered models used by similar groups, such as the MetroHartford Alliance, which utilizes an internal appointment process with good success and member buy-in. This model has successfully attract quality leadership candidate in a way that is transparent, efficient, fair and sustainable, and will likely continue to do so in the future.
- A HYPE member in good standing can be nominated by another HYPE member in good standing, or he/she can nominate him/herself. Members in good standing are defined as members who regularly attend HYPE events (committee meetings, workshops, etc), have paid current membership dues, and have a valid email address on file.
- All nominees must complete a Leadership Nomination form describing their goals, motivations, past leadership experience, HYPE experience and plans for their chosen position. This must be submitted to the HYPE Executive Director on a date specified below that occurs before the Executive Meeting where nominees will be discussed.
- All Leadership Nomination forms will be disseminated to members of the Executive Committee, who will review them and discuss them at a selected Executive Committee meeting. Nominations will be judged on the written materials supplied by the nominees as well as from collective personal experiences from working with the nominees. Based on the discretion of the Executive Committee, an in-person meeting with one or all nominees may be requested. This can occur at an already scheduled event or a new event can be created. The Executive Committee will vote on all contested positions.
- If a nominee is a current Chair or Vice Chair, he/she will be asked to leave during the discussion and appointment of that position.
- If a tie occurs the Executive Director will cast the deciding vote.
Important Dates for Leadership Team Elections
- July 1, 2016: Nominations for Chair-Elect open.
- August 12, 2016: Candidates must notify the HYPE Chair and/or Executive Director of their intent to run by this date.
- August 22, 2016: Candidates must complete the nomination form.
- August 30, 2016: Nominations are reviewed and the final candidate will be selected.
- September 1, 2016: Chair-Elect will be publicly announced.
- September 2016 through December 2017: Chair-Elect works closely with the HYPE Chair
- January 1, 2018: Chair-Elect Takes over as HYPE Chair
- September 1, 2016: Nominations for all five Vice Chair positions open.
- October 21, 2016: Candidates must notify the a member of HYPE's Executive Committee of their intent to run.
- October 31, 2016: Candidates must complete the nomination form.
- November 4, 2016: The HYPE Executive Committee will review nominations and vote on all contested positions.
- December 7, 2016: The 2017 Vice Chairs will be announced at Tons of Toys.
- January 1, 2017: New Executive Committee begins their 1-year term.
The Executive Committee can review the elections procedure annually and make changes by majority vote. Any HYPE members who have a question or a concern about the elections procedure may contact the HYPE Chair and/or Executive Director for clarification or to request review of the procedure. In such a case, the member may be asked to attend an upcoming Executive Committee meeting to present their concerns and participate in discussions.