HYPE leadership positions provide opportunities to effect change at the most basic level of our organization. While they require serious time commitments, the rewards are even more significant. Individuals appointed to HYPE leadership positions receive exclusive leadership training, access to and exposure within the Greater Hartford Business Community, and free admission to all non-fundraising HYPE events during their term.
The HYPE volunteer leadership team consists of the HYPE Chair and five Vice Chairs who each lead one of HYPE's volunteer committees.
The HYPE Chair is the highest volunteer position within HYPE with a term of 1 year. This role is appointed on an annual basis with the expectation that the Chair-Elect will assume the role of HYPE Chair following the conclusion of the current Chair’s term.
- Leadership: current or past experiences strongly encouraged
- Understands and demonstrates the ability to utilize Basecamp to help coordinate, track and update information from meetings and projects
- Demonstrates strong personal accountability
- Demonstrates superior communication skills, both written and interpersonal
- Can demonstrate broad knowledge about the Greater Hartford Region
- Plan and run monthly Executive Committee meetings, including drafting agendas one week prior, assigning/utilizing Basecamp, drafting necessary documents and/or other necessary work.
- Provide guidance to other committee chairs and leadership.
- Articulate a clear vision and a written plan describing how they will lead HYPE in meeting its stated strategic plan, mission and goals
- Monitor the implementation of HYPE’s strategic plan on all levels as outlined
- Willingness to be a spokesperson and represent HYPE in various ways, including interviews, meetings, forums, etc.
- Develop, understand, communicate and maintain focus on the high-level vision: what and where HYPE is now and in the future and how it fits in the larger context of the Alliance/City/Region.
- Attend all major HYPE and Alliance events
- Assist new leadership and ensure strong succession plans and candidates
- Obvious passion for HYPE’s mission and strategic plan
- To work effectively and efficiently with the Metro Hartford Alliance, HYPE Chair-Elect, HYPE Executive Director and all Committee Chairs
- Extensive previous experience on a HYPE Committee and demonstration of active participation
- Flexibility and availability for meetings, phone calls, etc.
- Willingness to act as a point person to assist other HYPE volunteers, members and interested parties as a source of information about the organization, its direction, structure and strategic plan
- Able and willing to take on special projects, as necessary, throughout the year
The Chair-Elect position is structured to add continuity at the highest level of leadership within HYPE. The position of HYPE Chair has grown in complexity during HYPE’s evolution and will continue to develop as we implement our strategic plan and take on a bigger role in the Region.
The candidate selected will work closely with our current Chair through December 2017 and assume the Chair role on January 1, 2018. The 15-month term of the Chair-Elect should be utilized to observe, learn and assist the Chair, HYPE staff and other Alliance staff in promoting and representing HYPE in a variety of capacities.
The Chair-Elect also will communicate the oral history of the position, insights, effective strategies, pitfalls, and successful approaches learned from the current Chair to ensure a seamless transition of positions.
The HYPE Chair-Elect position carries the same requirements as the Chair position while demanding more scheduling flexibility. The Chair-Elect is required to attend most, but not all, events and meetings while assisting the Chair with duties, projects, events and meetings, as necessary.
Committee Vice Chair
The Vice Chair position is an elected position within HYPE with a 1-year term. Vice Chairs oversee the workings of their respective committees (Social Events, Community Involvement, Personal & Professional Development, Ambassadors, and Civic Engagement) and act as the point person for information about their respective committee to all interested parties.
Vice Chairs are part of HYPE’s leadership and are given a seat on the Executive Committee with the Executive Director, HYPE Chair, HYPE Chair Elect, other Committee Vice Chairs. Vice Chairs’ main objective is to effectively and efficiently oversee the operations and activities of their respective committee to best meet HYPE’s stated mission, goals and strategic plan. They will be tasked to do so through the implementation of various initiatives, partnerships, programming and activities that they will have proposed and refined during the election process and immediately after as the Vice Chair.
In addition, they will look to work with other HYPE committees, as necessary, to create a cohesive nature to our work.
- Current or past leadership experiences strongly encouraged
- Shows strong understanding and can effectively utilize Basecamp to record and post Committee meeting minutes, create and post necessary Committee projects and manage member tasks to effectively complete Committee work and to provide a single portal for all HYPE Committees to be able to monitor and follow progress of work to date
- Strong personal accountability
- Superior communication skills, both written and interpersonal
- Plan, hold and run necessary Committee meetings, calls, etc. to effectively meet Committee goals and projects
- Attend monthly Executive Committee meetings and be prepared to address any agenda items as requested by the HYPE Chair or Executive Director
- Extensive previous participation and work on any HYPE Committee
- Willingness to provide guidance and leadership to Committee Volunteers
- Willingness to act as a point of contact for information related to the work of the Committee
For more information about HYPE leadership positions, please contact Deputy Director Kim Bishop at email@example.com.