Committee members are vital to HYPE’s current and future operations. Committees are open for HYPE members to join at any time, and nominations are accepted for the HYPE Chair-Elect position in the summer and the four Vice Chair positions in the fall. The HYPE Chair-Elect candidate selected will work closely with our current Chair through December 2021 and assume the Chair role on January 1, 2022.
HYPE has adopted an appointment-based model for leadership succession, for both the Chair-Elect and Committee Vice Chair positions. As a growing professional organization, HYPE considered models used by similar groups, such as the MetroHartford Alliance, which utilizes an internal appointment process with good success and member buy-in. This model has successfully attracted quality leadership candidate in a way that is transparent, efficient, fair and sustainable, and will likely continue to do so in the future..
- A HYPE member in good standing can apply for the Chair Elect or Vice Chair positions. Members in good standing are defined as members who regularly attend HYPE events (committee meetings, workshops, etc), have paid current membership dues, and have a valid email address on file.
- All nominees must complete a Leadership Nomination form describing their motivations, past leadership experience, and HYPE experience. This must be submitted to the HYPE Executive Director on a date specified below that occurs before the Executive Meeting where nominees will be discussed.
- All Leadership Nomination forms will be disseminated to members of the Executive Committee, who will review them and discuss them at a selected Executive Committee meeting. Nominations will be judged on the written materials supplied by the nominees as well as from collective personal experiences from working with the nominees. Based on the discretion of the Executive Committee, an in-person meeting with one or all nominees may be requested. This can occur at an already scheduled event or a new event can be created. The Executive Committee will vote on all contested positions.
- If a nominee is a current Chair or Vice Chair, he/she will be asked to leave during the discussion and appointment of that position.
- If a tie occurs the Executive Director will cast the deciding vote.
Important Dates for Leadership Team Elections
- August 3, 2020: Nominations for Chair-Elect open.
- August 17, 2020: Candidates must notify the HYPE Chair and/or Executive Director of their intent to run by this date.
- August 31, 2020: Candidates must complete the nomination form.
- September 11, 2020: Nominations are reviewed and the final candidate will be selected.
- September 21, 2020: Chair-Elect will be publicly announced.
- January 2021 through December 2021: Chair-Elect works closely with the HYPE Chair
- January 1, 2022: Chair-Elect Takes over as HYPE Chair
- September 28, 2020: Nominations for open Vice Chair positions open.
- October 19, 2020: Candidates must notify a member of HYPE's Executive Committee of their intent to run.
- November 2, 2020: Candidates must complete the nomination form.
- November 16, 2020: The HYPE Executive Committee will review nominations and vote on all contested positions.
- December 2, 2020: The 2019 Vice Chairs will be announced at Tons of Toys.
- January 1, 2021: New Executive Committee begins their 1-year term.
The Executive Committee can review the elections procedure annually and make changes by majority vote. Any HYPE members who have a question or a concern about the elections procedure may contact the HYPE Chair and/or Executive Director for clarification or to request review of the procedure. In such a case, the member may be asked to attend an upcoming Executive Committee meeting to present their concerns and participate in discussions.