HYPE's six volunteer committees are an integral part of our continued success. Committee members have gone above and beyond this year to implement our strategic plan
, organize events, and garner a better understanding of our membership. Much of this success can be attributed to our Vice
Chairs who have given their time and effort to lead these initiatives. As the new year approaches, it is time to appoint successors to those currently holding these positions.
HYPE has adopted an appointment-based model for leadership succession, for both the Chair-Elect and Committee Vice Chair positions. As a growing professional organization, HYPE has chosen a model used by similar groups that utilizes an internal appointment process with good success and member buy-in. This model will empower HYPE to attract quality leaders in a way that is transparent, efficient, fair and sustainable. (For more details on how we came to the decision on using this method, please see our website
Benefits of being a Vice Chair include free admission to all HYPE events (except for fundraising events) and professional development training. More information about leadership positions can be found here
. Nomination Process
Important Dates for 2013 Elections Vice-Chair Positions
- A HYPE member in good standing can be nominated by another HYPE member in good standing, or he/she can nominate him/herself. Members in good standing are defined as members who regularly attend HYPE events (committee meetings, workshops, etc), have paid current membership dues, and have a valid email address on file.
- All nominees must complete the Leadership Nomination form describing their goals, motivations, past leadership experience, HYPE experience and plans for their chosen position. This must be submitted to the HYPE Executive Director on a date specified below that occurs before the Executive Meeting where nominees will be discussed.
- All Leadership Nomination submissions will be disseminated to members of the Executive Committee, who will review them and discuss them at a closed meeting. Nominations will be judged on the written materials supplied by the nominees as well as from collective personal experiences from working with the nominees. Based on the discretion of the Executive Committee, an in-person meeting with one or all nominees may be requested. The Executive Committee will vote on all contested positions.
- If a nominee is a current Chair or Vice Chair, he/she will be asked to leave during the discussion and appointment of that position.
- If a tie occurs the Executive Director will cast the deciding vote.
- November 21, 2012: Candidates must notify the HYPE Executive Director of their intent to run. Please email Julie Daly Meehan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- November 30, 2012: Candidates must complete the nomination form by this date. (Click here for nomination form)
- December 11, 2012: The HYPE Executive Committee will review nominations and vote on all contested positions.
- December 12, 2013: The 2013 Vice Chairs will be announced at Tons of Toys.
- January 1, 2013: New Executive Committee begins their 1-year term.
If you have any questions about the process and/or responsibilities, please feel free to reach out to one of the current officers. A listing of current officers including their email addresses can be found here.