The Personal and Professional Development Committee holds events throughout the year such as speed networking events, finance seminars, 101 workshops, book club and more to get HYPEsters involved in hands-on activities. The HYPE Homemade blog series aims to bring the "hands-on" aspect of the events into your home, through a monthly cooking blog! Committee members will share recipes they enjoy, from grandma's special recipe passed down through generations, to cookbook favorites, to meals they've created!
Our July recipe comes from Isabelle Miner, and is an outside the box recipe for delicious muffins! Make sure to let us know in the blog comments if you tried the recipe!
Mixed Berry Coconut Chocolate Chip Muffins
Credit: Two Peas & Their Pod
Level of Difficulty: 2 out of 5
Tools Required: Mixing bowl, muffin tin, spatula
Time Required: Prep-10 minutes, Cook-20 minutes
About the recipe: Without vegetable oil and milk in the house, how’s a girl supposed to whip up a delicious desert? My supply of coconut oil and coconut milk inspired me to think outside the baking box and look for a desert that could utilize my supplies. With frozen berries in hand and a quick run to Greenway Market in downtown Hartford, I was 20 minutes away from the most delectable moist muffins of my life!
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 large egg
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup frozen mixed berries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin pan or line pan with muffin liners. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking
3. In a separate medium bowl, mix coconut oil, egg, coconut milk, and vanilla together.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula. Stir until just combined. The batter will be thick. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and mixed berries.
5. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.